Both cases were hospitalised. One has since been discharged and the other is in stable condition in hospital. Typhoid fever is a bacterial infection caused by Salmonella typhi. Food items which could be contaminated by the bacteria include raw or ready-to-eat foods, such as raw (unpasteurised) milk or milkproducts, seafood, and fresh produce including fruits and vegetables. A person with typhoid fever usually has prolonged fever which may be accompanied by other symptoms common to many diseases, such as headache, body aches, vomiting, diarrhoea or constipation. Typhoid fever is treatable with antibiotics.
The two typhoid fever cases were reported to have symptoms including fever, headache, diarrhoea and cough, after consuming food prepared by Hooi Kee Eating House on several occasions from 2 January to 18 January 2021. In view of the suspected ongoing transmission, SFA has issued a direction to suspend Hooi Kee Eating House’s food business operations with effect from 11 February 2021 until further notice.
Travellers have to stick to safe food and water guidelines
Typhoid fever generally presents a low risk for short-stay travellers staying in western-style accommodation. Vaccination is itinerary specific, but is usually recommended for those staying or travelling extensively in rural areas, as well as for adventurous eaters and for travel to areas reporting drug-resistant typhoid. All travellers visiting endemic areas should follow safe food and water guidelines, and adopt strict personal hygiene practices.