One in six admitted contacting other people during quarantine, with 62 per cent of these leaving their homes to meet people and 45 per cent having visitors. The Daily Telegraph reported that four in 10 were unsure about quarantine rules and 15 per cent mistakenly thought they were permitted to go shopping.
The ONS survey was based on data collected from 12 to 17 July. The main points include:
- The majority (83 per cent) of adults arriving in England from an amber list country or territory fully adhered to Covid-19 quarantine requirements
- Around nine in 10 respondents (91 per cent) also took both of the required day two and day eight coronavirus tests
- Overall, 77 per cent of respondents were fully adherent to both quarantine and coronavirus testing requirements, which was slightly lower than the previous month (82 per cent between 14 and 19 June 2021)
- Around three in five respondents (59 per cent) fully understood the rules in place during quarantine, while the remaining 41 per cent either misunderstood or were unsure of them