Pui Phusangmook, CEO of Sompo Insurance Singapore, said: “As travel bubbles are being established progressively, travellers must feel safe and confident to travel again. Our Travel (Covid-19) is specially designed to address the Covid-19 concerns of travellers who have to make essential business or personal overseas trips.
“They should travel without worries and not be caught with the inconvenience of trip cancellation or hefty overseas medical expenses should they be tested positive for Covid-19 prior or during the trip.”
Protection for travellers diagnosed with Covid-19
Travel (Covid-19) provides benefits to cover customers diagnosed with Covid-19 before and during the trip. Customers can choose the essential plan or a higher coverage plan.
Besides Covid-19 related benefits, Travel (Covid-19) also provides other travel benefits including medical expenses overseas, personal accident, travel delay, loss of personal belongings, etc.
As there will be a 14-day waiting period from the date of purchase, customers are encouraged to buy Travel (Covid-19) as soon as they confirm their travel dates for pre-trip protection.
Cover for cruise holidays
Travel (Covid-19) covers individuals and families for personal or business single round trips, including cruise holidays. Currently, an annual plan is not available in view of the less frequent travels during this period.
In addition to a suite of other inconveniences benefits, Travel (Covid-19)’s key coverage includes:
- The policyholder or a family member is tested positive with Covid-19 and the trip has to be cancelled or postponed
- The insured person or their travelling companion is diagnosed with Covid-19 resulting in trip curtailment or disruption
- Protection against high medical costs if the insured person is diagnosed with Covid-19 during the trip
- Up to 14 days of daily cash benefits if the insured person is quarantined or hospitalised overseas as a result of being diagnosed with Covid-19
Quarantine is not covered
However, Travel (Covid-19) does not cover:
- Compulsory quarantine or stay-at-home requirements imposed by a foreign government
- The cost of compulsory PCR tests and swab tests, regardless of the test results
- Trip cancellation or postponement due to the insured person’s fear of travelling
Almost 100 per cent of travel insurance purchases for trips in 2021 are for cancellation coverage, according to US-based Squaremouth, and it’s probably similar in Singapore. Insurance plans such as this one could be the answer to boosting travellers’ confidence.