Any WestJet air-only reservation made on or after 18 September 2020, including WestJet Vacations, will now provide eligible guests with no-charge Covid-19 travel insurance through its new partner TuGo, a travel insurance company. Coverage will be automatically applied at no additional charge to passengers at the time of purchase for travel until 31 August 2021 for up to 21 days. One-way travel reservations will also be eligible for coverage for up to seven days.
Offering peace of mind for passengers
"We know Canadians are seeking reassurance, and our guests can now have confidence knowing they are protected against unforeseen medical costs related to the pandemic when choosing to book with WestJet," said Arved von zur Muehlen, WestJet Chief Commercial Officer. "Safety measures have been implemented across our entire travel journey, and providing our guests with peace of mind during their travels is worth the investment we are making to ensure the safest travel experience for our guests."
TuGo Travel Insurance Covid-19 coverage for WestJet guests includes:
- Emergency medical and hospital costs for outbound travellers if diagnosed with Covid-19 while outside of Canada (excluding the US) for up to a maximum limit of CAD$100,000 per insured person.
- Emergency medical and hospital costs for inbound travellers visiting Canada diagnosed with Covid-19 while in Canada up to the maximum limit of $100,000 per insured person.
- Quarantine accommodation costs when the traveller tests positive for Covid-19 on the trip up to $150 per insured person, per day to a maximum of 14 days for inbound and outbound reservations.
- Ambulance transportation and air evacuation costs related to Covid-19, up to the maximum limit of $100,000 per insured person for inbound and outbound guests.
- Covid-19 repatriation costs in case of death of up to $5,000 per insured person for inbound and outbound guests.
- One-way economy airfare for the return of one travelling companion and dependent children when air evacuated back home for treatment.
ToGo insurance excited about the new partnership
"TuGo is excited to partner with WestJet to offer Canadians an opportunity to travel again," said Patrick Robinson, TuGo's CEO. "With our shared focus on the health, wellness and safety of travellers, it's a natural fit for our two Canadian-owned and operated companies to come together to equip and support Canadians in this 'next normal'."