Brain-eating amoeba closes surf resort

Share/Save
man surfing
Health

A surf resort in Texas was closed after a man who visited died from brain-eating amoeba. BSR Cable Park’s Surf Resort is being tested for Naegleria fowleri. The single-celled living organism is commonly found in warm freshwater such as lakes, rivers, and hot springs and soil. It infects people when they go swimming or diving in warm freshwater places. Infection cannot occur from drinking water contaminated with Naegleria; the amoeba can only infect people when contaminated water goes up into their nasal passages.

Fabrizio Stabile died in New Jersey earlier this month after falling ill with Naegleria. BSR Cable Park owner Stuart E. Parsons Jr said that the resort will continue to comply with requests related to the investigation of Stabile’s death. “Our hearts and prayers are with his family, friends, and the New Jersey surf community during this difficult time,” he said.

Parsons also said the surf resort is in compliance with the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)’s ‘guidelines and recommendations concerning Naegleria fowleri’. The surf resort has closed pending the test results from the CDC.