The 44th IHF World Hospital Congress – of which ITIJ's International Hospitals & Healthcare Review is proud to be a media partner – will be held on 2-5 November 2020 in Barcelona, Spain.
Since being established six years ago, the IHF Awards – which take place during the World Hospital Congress every year and were first presented in 2015 in Chicago, US, at the 39th World Hospital Congress of the IHF – have grown to include six categories recognising and honouring hospitals and healthcare service provider organisations for innovation, excellence, outstanding achievements and best practices in areas worthy of international recognition.
These six categories, including the two recently introduced for the 2020 IHF Awards, are:
- IHF/Dr Kwang Tae Kim Grand Award recognising excellence and achievements with proven results at health system or facility level in multiple areas, including quality and patient safety, corporate social responsibility, innovations in service delivery at affordable costs, and healthcare leadership and management practices.
- IHF/Bionexo Excellence Award for Corporate Social Responsibility for entries that demonstrate excellence or outstanding achievements, among others in: providing quality healthcare services at affordable costs; promoting volunteer contribution to community care; reducing inequalities in healthcare service delivery to the community; and advancing healthcare for emerging and developing nations.
- IHF/Ashikaga-Nikken Excellence Award for Green Hospitals [NEW] recognising outstanding performance and achievements of healthcare institutions, particularly hospitals, in promoting sustainable and eco-friendly initiatives for people and the planet. This includes: promoting energy efficiency or savings, CO2 reduction, and/or use of renewable energy for a sustainable environment; creating a safe and secure environment against natural disasters related to climate change; providing an eco-friendly and comfortable environment for patients and staff by innovative or smart technologies; collaborating architectural design and hospital planning to achieve a green and healthy hospital; and advocating the practice of medicine in a sustainable manner.
- IHF/ACHE Excellence Award for Leadership and Management in Healthcare for entries that demonstrate excellence or outstanding achievements, among others, in: enhancing governance, leadership, management policies and practices; creating and fostering a new culture of service that motivate staff to excel; managing finances and resources effectively; achieving major breakthrough in productivity improvements or innovations in healthcare delivery or process management.
- IHF/AUSTCO Excellence Award for Quality & Safety and Patient-centred care or entries that demonstrate excellence or outstanding achievements, among others in: promoting quality and safety; enhancing patient education, engagement and empowerment; promoting ethical approaches and evidence-based practices.
- IHF/Sultanate of Oman Excellence Award for Health Services During Crisis [NEW] recognising outstanding performance and achievements of healthcare institutions, particularly hospitals, in crisis situations.
Dr Lawrence Lai, Awards Committee Chair said: “The introduction of the two new categories gives opportunities for more hospitals worthy of recognition to compete for honours, especially for those which have been investing in sustainable programmes and delivering outstanding healthcare services despite their unfavourable situation.”
There are gold, silver and bronze awards for each of the categories, and this year also features the American College of healthcare Executives (ACHE) as the new partner for the IHF Excellence Award for Leadership and Management in Healthcare. Submission to the IHF/Dr Kwang Tae Kim Grand Award remains exclusive to IHF members, however, submission to the IHF Excellence Awards is free and open to all hospitals and healthcare organisations around the world. The IHF Awards 2020 will open for entries on 16 March. More information is available here.
Stay tuned for conference updates at the beginning of November.